Meals from Last Week

Last week was our first full week living in our new apartment which called for some serious meal planning. Here’s a little peek at what we’ve been eating over the last week…

Meal Planning Tips & Trick | by Framed Frosting
Linking up for Menu Plan Monday

All of these meals were delicious and seriously so so simple to make. Elizabeth and I sat down on Saturday night and asked ourselves the following questions as we went through the Dillons and Hy-Vee flyers. Here are a few questions we asked ourselves as we planned our meals for the week…

How Many Meals Do We Need to Make This Week?
- For Elizabeth and I this only amounted to four, since she was going to be gone one night.

What Do We Already Have on Hand?
- My mom had purchased chicken breasts, ground beef, and tilapia on sale a few weeks ago and froze it for us. Therefore, we only had to purchase other items to pair with them.

What Staples Are On Sale This Week?
- All types of pasta were on sale for $1.99
- Dole pre-packaged lettuce mixes were on sale for $1.99
- Kraft shredded cheese was on sale for 2 for $4
- Fresh strawberries were on sale for $1.98
- Kraft cheese slice singles were on sale for 2 for $5

What Recipes Can You Make With Those?
- I finally made use of my Recipe board to hunt down a few recipes! We also flipped through a couple cookbooks and our recipe binders too. We decided that we wanted two meals using chicken, one meal with ground beef, and then went from there!

What Do We Still Need to Buy?
- After we had our recipes picked out, we wrote up a grocery list of the things we still needed. Since we planned our recipes around what was on sale for the week, this worked out well and saved us quite a bit of money!

What Coupons Do You Have?
- We then went through the coupons we already had and picked out the ones we could use. Do NOT take coupons just because you have them! This will cause you to spend so much more money.

MONDAY
(we added cubed chicken to this too!)
TUESDAY
* order Chinese take-out *
WEDNESDAY
* Turkey & Pepper Jack paninis *
* Strawberry Mixed Greens salad*
(we also prepared meatballs to freeze & use later!)
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
* leftovers *

Do you make a meal plan each week?
If so, what tips/tricks have you found work for you?

{This month’s advertisement}

Comments

1. says

I think you covered all the bases! I love menu planning – I’ve been doing it as long as I can remember (I’m talking like 16 y/o when I did the grocery shopping for my family). Pinterest is definitely helpful now that I have more recipes. Plus I am a very visual “eater” – I like seeing what I can make instead of just reading the title.

2. says

Each week my hubby make a menu for us. For breakfast, Lunch and dinner. Plus snack. Then on Saturday or Sunday we go to the store and buy what we need for the week.

3. says

I’ve been seriously slacking on meal planning all summer, but now that fall is almost here, I want to get back into it. Those Red Lobster biscuits sound amazing! I think I will make them this week- Thanks for the idea!

4. says

I love your method of planning for the week. I actually really enjoy all the planning-it’s like putting together pieces of a puzzle!

New reader via the weekend bloghop!

Bethanee @TheBBLife

5. says

Wow this is so helpful! I seriously struggle with meal planning which isn’t good when you’re trying to stay on a budget and eat healthy. I will now be using these tips from now on! You’re awesome.

Katlyn

6. says

I seriously need to get better at meal planning. We cook almost every night, but it’s always a last minute scramble!

7. says

Thanks for sharing these tips. I’m just starting to make meal plans and this was really helpful. (I’m sooo going to try that Parmesan Chicken recipe – it looks so easy!) xx

8. says

Sounds like great menu! I listened to a documentary this week about using items from your pantry and refrigerator before purchasing new items as North Americans throw out millions of tons of edible food which spoils before we use it. We can be more accountable to those who have less when we purchase less and use the savings to help others. Every blessing and keep linking up with us at No Ordinary Blog Hop. I’m your newest follower.

9. says

This is the best way to do it! I always plan out my meals for the week ahead based on what the BOGOs are at the store and whatever coupons I have. It takes a bit of time but so well worth it for saving money!! Newest follower from the GFC blog hop. Would love it if you could visit my humorous blog site and follow back! thanks for sharing!

10. says

I seriously need to meal plan. I do awesome shopping with coupons, and like you said- only take what you know you need. Every once in a while I will take my binder with me and shop for random sales, but I am very disciplined about this an know if something is as low as I will find it. I don’t do that very often.

Following you from the GFC blog hop. Love to invite you to the Weekend Blog Walk @ At Home Take 2. Hope to see you there!

Jessica