Disclaimer: This recipe has been sponsored by Wilton as a member of their Sweet Treat Team. However, all opinions are my own.
Never in a million years did I think that blogging would open so many doors for me. As I mentioned in this post, a door recently opened and greeted me with cookie cutters, baking pans, and so much more! I am absolutely thrilled to be be partnering with Wilton this year as part of their Sweet Treat Team.
Over the summer, I tackled my first 4-layer cake and had an absolute blast teaching myself how to do some basic cake decorating with this Wilton starter kit. Then, a few months ago I used Wilton candy molds to make homemade PB cups…and here I am today, creating my own recipe to share with you!
My love for trifles began when I learned how to make my grandma’s famous recipe. I love trifles because they can usually be made ahead of time and are incredibly easy to put together. Today I’m sharing my first boozy recipe, a chocolate trifle made with Creme de Menthe*.
Trifles are incredibly versatile because you can switch out the layers to fit your personal preferences. If you don’t like chocolate cake, use fudgy brownies. Not a fan of chocolate? Use angel food cake or confetti cake. Not a fan of vanilla pudding? Use chocolate pudding or whipped cream.
*For a non-alcoholic version, add peppermint extract instead of creme de menthe.
Now it’s time to make the shamrock toppers…
1. To make your shamrock toppers, melt about 1/2 cup green Candy Melts in a glass bowl at 50% power for 1 minute. Continue microwaving at 30 second intervals until smooth.
2. Fill each mold half-way with the melted chocolate. Add lollipop stick and twist so that your stick is completely covered. Fill the rest of the way and tap on hard surface to get rid of bubbles.
3. Freeze for 5-10 minutes. Once frozen, remove from mold. Garnish your trifle with a shamrock candy and crushed Oreos. Enjoy!
Baker’s Tip: Bake the cake and make the pudding mixture up to 24 hours in advance. Then, all you have to do is make your shamrocks and assemble your trifle layers!
Are you a fan of boozy desserts?
Would you make this trifle with cake or brownies?
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker's Triple Chocolate Fudge)
- 1 (3.3 oz) box white chocolate (or vanilla) instant pudding mix
- 1¾ c. milk
- ¼ cup of creme de menthe (clear)
- 2 toothpicks of Wilton gel icing color (I used Leaf Green)
- Bake your cake according to the directions on the box. Let cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add your pudding mix, milk, and creme de menthe. Mix until combined and add 2 toothpicks of green gel coloring. Mix until color is evenly distributed. Refrigerate pudding mixture for 20 minutes.
- While your pudding is setting up, you'll want to cut your cake into small cubes. You could also use a circle cookie cutter and then half each one.
- Remove your pudding mixture from the fridge and give it a quick stir to get rid of any clumps. Now you'll want to start assembling your trifle, beginning with a layer of cake.
- Add about ¼ cup of pudding mixture on top of your cake layer and carefully use a spatula to spread it around. Top with another cake layer and another layer of pudding. Continue doing this until you've almost reached the top of your trifle bowl.
Variation: For a non-alcoholic version, add peppermint extract instead of creme de menthe.